boredom blog

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

And. . .Boredom Pays Off


In the amount of $23. Yes, I won the Oscar Pool, a vindicated effort after losing last year by a mere point. Not only did I win, but I was ahead by a staggering 20 points.

How does this relate to boredom? While my opponents were "working" at their jobs, I was studying. I do admit some of my pick were luck, but I'd been studying for weeks who the film pundits predicted would win. They were (mostly) right.

One does not need to see the actual movies to win an Oscar pool. I have seen only two of the best picture nominees. One simply needs to scour the internet and print media for clues. It's inconsequential as to which movie you liked the best. Did I think Crash was better than Capote? No idea! I've seen neither. I did see both Pride and Predjudice and Walk the Line. Did I think Reese Witherspoon deserved best actress any more so than Kiera Knightly - not necessarily. But, again, it doesn't matter what I think. You have to get inside the mind of the academy.

I won without picking best Director or best film. One person at the party opted for Crash. Her rationale - she was protesting Brokeback Mountain. Now this alone makes her a bad person, but in addition, neither she nor her date contributed $2 to my winnings. She claimed she doesn't carry cash - even though the invitation explicited instructed attendees to bring $2. I should have asked for a check . . .

1 Comments:

At 1:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should have told her that she was free to pay you in either the flesh or blood of christ.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home