boredom blog

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Barry Bah-nds

As I’ve established, I love pop culture, entertainment and media. Sports falls into all these categories. There’s not much difference between an episode of The Bachelor (which I no longer watch btw) and the World Series. Who’s gonna win? It comes down to the wire with two sides battling it out. Admittedly, there’s only room in my brain for so many sports. The main occupants include major league baseball, football when the Rams don’t suck, and NCAA tourney when I have $ riding on the brackets. Last time that happened I totally won, but I digress.

The Barry Bonds issue is a perfect storm. It’s entertaining, it’s topical (when applied by cream lol), it’s a media free-for-all. I spent half an hour reading the SI excerpt of the book. I wondered what was left in the book, but I’m sure I won’t read it to find out. I’ll simply rely on heresay for that.

Fascinatingly, the media and general populous commentators are debating whether or not Barry Bonds used steroid and whether that should affect his past and future records and stats. Yes, Barry Bonds did steroids. No, his records should not hold. But, here’s what the media is tending to ignore – Barry Bonds is not only a bad acne-ridden man, but the dude’s got problems. Deep psychological problems.

His megalomania drove him to become “super human.” This same megalomania was fed by the sports fans – those who give sports superstars too much credence. These guys aren’t superman. They’re people whose bodies go through more wear and tear than the regular individual. It’s no surprise they start breaking down by 30. Was it is something inside of him that made him need to beat all those who stood in his way or way he giving into the hype created by baseball fans and media alike?

I’m waiting to see what happens to him when his game playing days are over. What physical repercussions will he face to using his body as a human lab? Hopefully the media will document his downfall just as well as his rise, and he can serve as an example of how not to play the game.

1 Comments:

At 8:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

you stink

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home