boredom blog

Thursday, October 05, 2006

I Want My Reality TV


I miss my reality TV. I've tried watching new shows this season. Last night I watched the premiere of the Nine (haven't I seen this in the theater? Wasn't it called Inside Man?). No need to watch again. Smith was a one time viewing. I enjoy Vanished and Studio 60. The fiance is a fan of heroes.
But in general, I would much rather watch American Idol, even RockStar than a scripted show. Scripted shows are predictable. They're written months in advance and generally follow the trend of last year's breakout hit. Most of the time spoilers are floating in cyberspace, ripe for reading. Once you're invested they could disappear (hello, Reunion), although that occassionally happens with reality tv as well (we'll never know who was to be "The One."
My solution - reality drama. Turn tv into Choose Your Own Adventure. On Vanished, for example, at the end of the last episode, the viewers could vote, press 1 for Agent Kelton to live, press 2 for him to die. This way, viewers would be more invested in the show. If Desperate Housewives don't like the fact that Calos and Susan are kaput, then it's their own fault as they could have voted to save their relationship. Writers and producers won't have to read message board after message board to get the fan feedback. They'll know at the end of each episode.
I'm calling NBC right now.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a fine idea for the idea market. and heroes isnt the least bit predictable. they have superpowers- make a reality show about that!

actually, i guess they kinda did with who wants to be a superhero... but i dont count that for some reason.

 
At 3:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

were you drunk in an airport when you wrote this? (Cuz I was)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home