boredom blog

Thursday, June 15, 2006

I Know I Can Dance


I know not that many people watch "So You Think You Can Dance", but I feel as though I must in order to support the dance community. I really enjoy watching it. Unfortunately, the bf is out of town, so I was left on my own to watch it (not that he would have watched it with me anyway). Instead of talking to myself, I have decided to share my opinions with my faithful readers (all five of them).

So, some general opinions about the show. I feel as though everyone on this year is probably qualified to be on the show as opposed to last year's mess that was "Big Poppa." Secondly, I feel as though matching up permanent partners and assigning dances will probably work slighlty better. But, why don't they devote one night to a dance style, similar to American Idol. It would be like Chris getting to sing a rock song on the same night that Bucky sings country for the entire competition. Or maybe Chris gets country week after week and Bucky gets stuck with Broadway. Not a fair comparison. So, if I was producing this show I would say, week 1 everybody does hip hop. Week 2 everybody does the cha cha slide. Also, not having the same judges from week to week does not provide for continuity. And, for my final criticism of the show, the voting system is wack.

Now, onto nitpick each and every contestent.

Donyelle and Benji - First of all, dude, I do not care whether or not you have had sex. Why's everybody and gotta be talking about not doin' it for the lord these days? Yeesh. But anyway, I thought this routine was great. Benji really surprised me with his hip hop ability and I thought Donyelle was good too. I would just worry about her in other genres though. I couldn't necessarily see her as graceful in a Viennese Waltz.

Ivan and Allison - The judges bascially ripped Ivan a new one, but I felt that was undeserved. He isn't responsible for the choreography, which left him little to do. She was good, but I felt as though she was making some really bizarre facial movements.

Jason and Aleksandra - I hated the choreography and the song for this number, but I thought Jason was awesome. His movements were strong and I could picture him doing great in any style. He also looked so happy to be dancing and that came across very clearly. I did not enjoy Aleksandra, but who looks good dancing in a nightgown?

Jaymz and Jessica - First, I have to give the dude props for creative spelling. This number was just ok to me. I think we probably saw the exact same choreography last year. They did fine. It was kitchy.

Stanislav and Erin - Sanislav was great, but, again, I have to wonder how his talent would lend itself to other genres. I'm not talking about this girl since I think she's a giant hoosier. She's going to end up working at the Bada Bing, so let's just ignore her for the rest of the season.

Dmitri and Joy - I wasn't overwhelmed by this performance, but I was impressed with Dimitri's ability to hip hop when he had never even so much as bunny hopped. Clearly he put a lot of work into his number. As for Joy, please see the above entry.

Ryan and Heidi - This girl seems like she would annoy the crap out of me. And, she's like an ugly version of Jessica Simpson. I thought Ryan was extremely graceful and had wonderful lines. I would like to see more of him in different styles.

Ben and Ashlee - This number actually spurred me to write this blog. First of all, it looked like it came right of the Center for Contemporary Arts (where I danced growing up) circa 1986. Although the dancers aren't responsibly for the choreography, but seriously, parts of it looked like it was made up by someone who was 10 in 1986. Very jeuvenile. And, onto the main rant. What in the world were they thinking putting that skinny little man in stretch pants. That did not help his cause. Oh no. I know most the men in the dance world are gay, but dude. Running around the stage in stretch pants is not good for anyone. Really not good.

Travis and Martha - I agree that this is the couple to beat. They're strong, entertaining, and also probably good in many styles. Two thumbs up.

Musa and Natalie - This number was cute. Not a lot of technical difficulty. I enjoy watching Musa dance. He's creative and he seems like he's got a great personality.

My predicition for eviction - Ben. So long stretch pants.

4 Comments:

At 10:13 AM , Blogger duckyxdale said...

There should be two going tonight so my vote is still up in the air. There are just so many dancers right now, we can kick 4 off and I'd still feel overwhelmed.

Lots of random girls with hair... ya know.

The pants so did not bother me, actually I don't even remember them. I'm amazed you got past that hair let alone the pants.

 
At 7:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Comments were hilarious! Erin was SOOO Hooters, so I totally agreed with you. I thought for sure Ben and the Hat Girl were going to "dance for their lives" (how Flash-dancy is THAT expression) and was super suprised when they were deemed safe. Love Musa, mostly cause he's hot and mostly because his name rhymes with mine...
L

 
At 7:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben has an army of voters behind him (myself included). I know him personally and also of the influence he has around here. From an outsider's point of view, I guess he is pretty goofy... but growing up with him, I guess I am used to it :-)

He wont be off for awhile.

 
At 10:52 AM , Blogger Derek H. said...

I never watched this particular dish of reality pie but it sounds pretty entertaining in that "Accidental Comedy Scale" area (which is why we all watch American Idol anyway).

I think I'll check it out.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home