boredom blog

Friday, June 30, 2006

They Put Baby In a Corner


I can't believe that I had forgetten to remark on she similarity between Aleksandra's hair and the Dirty Dance scene were Baby and Johnny are performing at the Shelldrake. Some of the moves were very similar as well. And so, they put Baby in a corner. I didn't hate Aleksandra nearly as much as some people did. She didn't bother me, but I suppose there are better dancers in the competition.

I realize I comment on many television shows, but I feel as though I can comment on SYTYCN with somewhat more authority. The ony time my mom ever performed a tripple pirouette on pointe was when she was pregant with me. So, I was a-twirlin' before I even came out of the womb a la Billy Elliot, but clearly not that good of a dancer.

As soon as I was old enough I started dance lessons and much to my dad's delight began accompanying my mom to dance performances. We would sit in the rear orchestra in the middle with her friends and pass candy and binoculars back and forth. During the ENTIRE performance these woman would not stop talking! The critiquing did not end! "His leg isn't extended enough." "She fell out of her turn," and so on. Now, there were positive comments as well "what a beautiful arabesque," but I learned to be a little critic.

Sometimes people will ask me if was in a sorority in college and I respond, "no, I was in a dance group, which was way worse!" I auditioned my first semester freshman year, which was nerve wracking, but every semester after the auditions were fun! These girls were absolutely brutal. Girls were dismissed for chewing gum, having a "swimmers body," and of course, not being able to dance at all. The little critic came alive.

After college I worked at Boston Ballet and sat through numerous productions of the Nutcracker, or as I liked to call it, the Butcracker. Still a holiday favorite.

Now, when I sit on the couch with my mom, it's just like being back at the Fox Theater. The show, in her opinion, is all about "dumbed down dance." I partially agree. We both think Musa can move (and I'm proud of him as the oldest contestant at age 28 - when your knees start creaking).

But, the thing about dance, and what bugged me so much about the auditions, is that it's fun! For the overwieght people who've been dancing all their lives - good for you! It's much more offensive to listen to bad singers than to watch bad dancers. At least they try and have fun. Anyone and everyone can dance (including you bf).

Finally, I'm not worried about bad hair ben. Dude is only 18. I'm sure he'll be fine. And that Poison Dance - I swear I did the exact same choreograpy circa 1991 to Everybody Dance Now, That was before the creaking knees!

3 Comments:

At 11:50 AM , Blogger duckyxdale said...

Ice those knees up!

 
At 1:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two thoughts:

Does "Nutcracker" really need to be tinkered with as a funny word? Gilding the Lily.

I know I can dance. It's your friends who disagree.

 
At 10:16 AM , Blogger Keep it like a secret said...

Currently, SYTYCD is the only show I watch. I heart it muchly, although I missed last week. Oh, and yesterday, too. When Musa left, he took my heart with him.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home